Friday 17 February 2012

16th February 2012


Lights, Camera, Action!

Only there’s no camera or lights! But still lots of action!
I reach college exactly at 8:30, all determined to complete and wind up the designing working for “RISE” by the end of the day! I take out my phone to call my partner-in-deed   Monisha, and I see my Nokia 1200 flashing, ‘Goldilocks Calling’!
I press answer, and the sweet sing-sang voice goes, “heyy! M in the canteen! Where are you?” I look at her from the entrance of the canteen and smile and wave.
She has bought coffee for me, and as usual forgotten to mix extra sugar. (yes, I do take extra sugar, and yes that too in JMC canteen, which is already extra-sugary!)
And then, after having our morning chat we open our laptops and go-
“mon, mail me the Honey Singh article”
“safoora I did, let me do it again”
“ok, also mail me, the diary one, one pretty picture of yours and the event reports”
“did you write, A to A? mail!”
“acha, lets sit and chalk out the final sequence of the articles k”
“no, this is looking too dry here”
“listen, let’s shift this on the 3rd page”
And this is how we keep firing at each other for the next 2 hours.
And then finally, I get up, at 10:30, to go receive the designer who is waiting for me at the gate.
I get him in, and we go back to the canteen! Being in a girl’s college, walking with a guy right through the compound area, at the peak hour of 10:30 am, when the whole college is in college!, trust me, is “uncomfortable”. Well, becauseee, you undesirably become the “star of the day”..!!! The stares, the glares, the giggles and the whispers- are hilarious- when you look back- but certainly not at that time!
When I enter the canteen this time, I suddenly realize that the whole canteen is jam-packed now, girls rushing everywhere, exchanging pleasantries, in a definitely non- pleasant but very chirpy, giggly tone!
The humdrum feels really exciting and enthusiastic!
I approach our table, and smile to myself- the whole of our WSDC team is there- running here and there, firing instructions at each other, our president- Shreya, right in the middle of it, surrounded by a mixture of personalities! Working frantically.
And then, suddenly, I get all super excited and want to push myself right into the working hurricane of my friends, as fast as possible, and get absorbed in the electric enthusiastic vibes it is emanating.
Akki (aka Akshay Singh, the designer of “RISE”) and me, sit down at the already over-flowing table and get to work!
Somewhere in between, I realized, the whole canteen was staring at us!


At 4, we realize, its 4:00 pm! And ‘OH My God!!! We have to rush home’ and so, we start frantically packing up stuff, which is strewn in the whole common room (somewhere during the day we had moved to the common room, because our laptops were screaming for batteries!)
We pack up, hug each other! Plant and blow kisses in the typical ‘JMC way’, and rush to the gate, where my cab is waiting for me, all other cab mates wearing bored, smug expressions (well, they had to wait till 4 for me, when they all got free by 2!)
Finally, I sit in the cab-
Message 1- Goldilocks: “ we rOck”
Message 2-  shreya: “today was great, good work team. I am proud of you all”
Message 3 – “we make a great team, yayy”

I reply-  “yes sweatheart, today was an inspiration”, to all.

And then, I doze off for my daily nap in the cab!

Although lights, camera, action happen, ‘Cut’ did not- we were not able to finalize the design, but that does not matter,
Because, “today really was an inspiration”!


Safoora Zargar
Co-Editor
RISE

No comments:

Post a Comment